Many of the buildings and walls in the north of the island neighbouring Bali collapsed after being weakened in the aftermath of Sunday’s 7.0 magnitude quake.
Dramatic photos show debris from a collapsed mosque minaret blocking a road, while others show soldiers desperately appealing for calm in the aftershock’s aftermath.
Sutopo Purwo Nugroho from Indonesia’s Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB), said: «Evacuees and people ran out of houses when they felt the strong shake of the 6.2 magnitude quake.
«People are still traumatised.»
Evacuees and people ran out of houses when they felt the strong shake of the 6.2 magnitude quake
Indonesia’s Disaster Mitigation Agency
Officials said the epicentre of the aftershock was on land and so there was no risk of a tsunami.
The United States Geological Survey recorded the latest quake at 5.9, at a depth of 10km.
BNPB’s toll of verified deaths from Sunday’s 6.9 magnitude quake was raised on Thursday to 259 from 131.
«This number will continue increasing as rescue teams continue to find victims under collapsed buildings,» the agency said in a statement.
A humanitarian crisis is also looming in Lombok, where thousands have been left homeless and in desperate need of clean water, food, medicine and shelter.
Authorities made announcements over loudspeakers at evacuation sites, urging people to remain calm and stay inside tents or find open space if they were inside or near buildings.
«Please stay calm, this is just an aftershock and it will be over soon, there’s no need to be scared,» one official announced.
Officials said about three-quarters of Lombok’s rural north had been without electricity since Sunday, although power had since been restored in most areas before the aftershock. Aid workers have found some villages hard to reach because bridges and roads were destroyed.
Thousands of tourists have left Lombok since Sunday, fearing further earthquakes, some on extra flights provided by airlines and others on ferries to the neighbouring island of Bali.