At least 37 people died in the collapse of the Morandi bridge.
Among them is a young family of three, wiped out when their car fell 100m above the ground.
The relatives of Roberto Robbiano, his wife Ersilia Piccinino, and their eight-year-old son Samuel are mourning their loved ones, who found death when the mainstays of the bridge gave way yesterday, at about 11.30am local time (10.30am GMT).
The couple, who lived with their son in Campomorone, a town north of Genoa, got married in 2014.
Two more children, aged 12 and 13, were killed in the tragedy.
The Mayor of Florence, Dario Nardella, confirmed the death of an unnamed boy, without saying whether his family was also killed in the crash.
He said: “Florence is gripped by the family of the Florentine boy who lost his life in the tragic collapse of the viaduct in Genoa and the loved ones of all the other victims.”
More people are coming together on social media to express their pain for the loss of loved ones.
Friends of an amateur football player, Andrea Cerulli, who also lost his life in the collapse, wrote on Facebook: “Genoa Club Portuali Voltri rallying around Andrea’s family, our associate, our friend, our colleague, victim of Ponte Morandi’s tragedy.”
Mr Cerulli, father of a young son, was killed on his way to work.
Luigi Matti Altadonna, 35, died while driving his work van over the bridge. He received an heartfelt tribute from the mayor of the small town he lived in, Borghetto.
Mayor Giancarlo Canepa said: “The municipal administration joins the pain of Giovanni, a model citizen and an exemplary volunteer of the Civil Protection Section of Borghetto, for the loss of his dear nephew in the terrible tragedy of Genoa.”
Mr Altadonna’s family had launched a desperate appeal to find him in the aftermath of the tragedy when he couldn’t be reached, but were later called to hospital to identify his body.
Fallen debris and rubble also made victims.
Two workers from local waste management company Ammiu were crashed by large pieces of the falling bridge while they were working at the ecological island located below the Morandi conduct.
Company director Tiziana Merlino, who after the collapse shut down work on the island for an indefinite period of time, said: “The damages are invaluable but nothing compared to the pain for the lives lost.”
To pay respect to the casualties, Genoa declared two days of mourning for Wednesday and Thursday.
Authorities have so far confirmed the death of 37 people, but the death toll could still rise, as rescuers are still digging in the hope to find survivors.
To date, seven people have been found alive among the rubble.
One of them is Davide Capello, a Legino football player.
Speaking from the hospital he called himself a “miraculous survivor”.
After being rescued, he said: “I heard a numb noise, then saw the road going down, and I was going down with it.
“I never lost consciousness, I immediately called the firefighters and then my family.
“It was shocking. I feel like a miraculous survivor.”
Interior minister Matteo Salvini and transport minister Danilo Toninelli called for the resignation of chief managers at Anas, the public body which was meant to overlook the maintenance works of the 51-year-old Morandi bridge.